Home » IL-2 » Cancer Vacations

Cancer Vacations

Posted by on June 17, 2010 in IL-2, Immunotherapies (IL-2, IL-15, PD-1s, etc.), My Health Updates - No comments

It’s hard to believe it’s been six weeks, but those are just the cold hard facts.  Chris is back to his old grouchy self.  Working like a dawg, complaining about the deficit, wearing his pants up to his chest.  (I’m kidding about the pants — they are actually still falling down because he’s lost so much weight).

The good news is that he’s been sleeping a little better these days.  That might have something to do with the fact that our children are in Michigan.  Woohoo!!  Partay at the Battle house.  Actually, my plan was to partay at the Battle house, but here it is Thursday night and I’m doing laundry.  Seriously. Fortunately, I’m doing laundry because Chris and I are headed to the Big Apple tommorrow.

You might be wondering why we’re going to New York.  Well, the answer is, why not??  The last time we went down for scans, I booked a little side trip to Williamsburg, VA.  Turns out, it takes the edge off of the doctor’s appointment.  We’ve been talking about going up to New York for forever now – and it seems like a damn fine time to do it.

The last time we met with our fabulous oncologist, Dr. Dan George, we had the calander out to plan our treatment schedule.  I started crossing off weekends here and there saying oh no – we’re in New York, can’t do then – that’s a week at the beach.  He stopped and said, “You don’t exactly sound like a family that’s battling cancer.”  I LOVED hearing that.  I told Dr. George that we had put off a lot of trips over the years, always working, always finding excuses not to go.  So, my dear friends, here’s a message for you: Don’t wait for a crisis to serve as a reminder — take those vacations!  Even if it just means taking a daytrip to the ocean, to a town you’ve always wanted to see.  It’s good for the soul.

We’ll get back from New York on Sunday, pack up the car and turn right around and head down to Durham that afternoon.  Chris starts with labs at 7:00 am, then a CT scan at 9:00.  Then we have a long agonizing wait until 2:30, which is when we should get our results.  If the scans look good, then they’ll admit Chris right away for another round of IL-2.  If the scans show that the cancer has grown, then we’ll figure out plan B. We don’t know quite yet what plan B is, but we’ve got a few things up our sleeves and we feel very confident that Dr. George will have some fabulous ideas as well.

Scan days are tough — you all have been so faithful in your prayers for us; please keep them coming.  We’ll do our best to update you as soon as we have news.

© 2019 The Kidney Cancer Chronicles. All rights reserved. Icons by Komodo Media.